Independence in the Real World (IRW) is a club for young adults who want to improve their independence skills to become less dependent on parents, guardians, and others. Through the club, members meet others making friends and connections while also learning social skills.
Life skills taught lay the foundation for more in-depth learning situations in each of the subject categories. Each participant will create individualized goals and a plan for furthering their independence throughout the duration of this program. Topics covered include:
- Benefits of Independence- what does it mean
- Personal Responsibility & Organizational Skills
- Understanding the Work World
- Maintaining Your Living Space
- Basic Finances
- Personal Health and Nutrition
- Safety and Being Prepared
- Transportation and Scheduling
- Forming and Maintaining Positive Relationships
- Moving Forward with YOUR Independence Plan
This group meets weekly with one additional event in the community to allow more in-depth learning in the real world.